New perioperative leadership at a large, for-profit hospital recognized it was capturing the data to drive change but did not have the tools to support sustainable improvement.
- Data was a mess, no one trusted it, and it was too much work to clean it up on a regular basis.
- OR leaders knew there was room for improvement in their block schedule but did not have the resources to do a full analysis.
- In an attempt to free up time for growth, surgical services leaders approached caresyntax to undertake a complete review of block utilization and allocation in an initial three-month analysis.
caresyntax’s initial opportunity assessment found the hospital’s block schedule contained 209 blocks with 95 different block holders. Of these blocks, 24 had no utilization and 95 had less than 40% utilization in the prior three months. caresyntax produced an in-depth report on every block and provided the data and visualizations the perioperative leadership needed to overhaul their block schedule. The highly visual and comprehensive 240-page report presented to perioperative management and block committee empowered them to make changes resulting in an 24% increase in case volume count and increase in block utilization from 36 – 50%. In just six months, they began using caresyntax block analysis in regular block committee meetings to make changes, communicate to surgeons and clean up low utilization blocks
How we helped:
- Balanced the needs of different groups by using an evidence-based approach to problem solving.
- Relieved them from having to calculate block utilization and allocation.
- Began using caresyntax block analysis in regular block committee meetings to make changes and communicate to surgeons.
- Optimization became a catalyst for culture change and governance best practice, with heightened accountability and successful collaboration among health care specialties.